Tuesday 28 March 2017

A Little Gardening for My Soul.

I was given, rather to my dismay, someone's collection of Bromeliads. Not a fan ~ but you know, free plants...So I took them home, very battered & worse for wear & badly needing to be planted out & shoved them in a bucket of water while I thought what to do with them.



In the end I dumped a couple of bags of compost under the elkhorn & planted the bigger, & most battered of the Bromeliads there.  The smaller ones went further along under the palms but in all honesty they were in such poor shape I didn't hold out much hope, so imagine my surprise when I spotted a bright red spearhead poking through the battered foliage!
 Two days later a second spearhead!  The colour is amazing amongst all the green.  As they spread & flower they will be a bright spot of colour in the tropical part of the garden.  Guess I made a good call.

1 comment:

  1. Not my favorite either. Actually, I am not much of a fan of most tropical plants, but I appreciate free plants and signs of life.

    It is spring here--finally, I think as we had a late hard freeze after several days in the 70-80's that stunted a number of budding plants. I have been out gardening the last two days and am about to go out again.

    ReplyDelete