Monday 27 March 2017

Little Man does His Nana.

On Friday we expanded the grandmother experience to: One Screaming Baby.

It began pretty much as soon as I hopped in the car.  The Little Man took one look & his bottom lip began to wobble.  Five minutes later he was screaming his lungs out. That Woman was here ~ & that could only mean one thing.  Mummy & daddy were abandoning him for mummy & daddy pursuits.

I thought he would settle once his parents had left the house, but no.  Little Man was determined to be miserable & everyone else was going to be miserable right along with him! He screamed when held.  He screamed if put down.  He screamed if put in his jumper.  He screamed at his bottle.  He screamed at his solids. He screamed if you lay with him & if you did not.He screamed if I had him & he screamed if his uncle [OT] had him.

Little man grew hot & bothered. I grew worried. He was in a right old Tizz & nothing my son or I was doing was comforting him in the least.  In desperation I did the one thing I would have done much earlier if the stroller wasn't still in the back of the car that had gone to the movies with T1; I swaddled him & stepped out into the night.

Now our little man is a solid lump of a child & carrying him for any length of time has my back spasming, so I knew I had a limited amount of time before I would have to retreat to the house again but as soon as I stepped out that door there was silence.  Goggle~eyed, the little Man eyed the stars, the whoosh of lights along the highway, the trees swaying in & out of the clouds & he stared mesmerized as I slowly wended my way up & down the street, between the 2 open spaces at either end & in a while I felt his little body finally relax ~ not into sleep; he is not a child enamoured of sleep, but he put his head down on my chest & snuggled in.

Good thing as I could feel my back giving in but we went inside; he had most of his bottle & collapsed into exhausted sleep. He stirred just before his parents arrived home.  They found us snuggled in the rocking chair, Little Man drowsily finishing his bottle & perfectly happy.

Of course, having had a jolly good sleep & with mum & dad close to hand, he was his usual sunshiny self in the morning.

Meanwhile I have started taking my kitchen apart preparatory to the boys installing the new one & we are waiting to see how much damage TC Debbie does when she crosses our northern coast later today.  It is tracking slowly but already lots of damage & power outages. Always so messy when the big ones come down but SES & the AAF are ready to move in as soon as Debbie has passed so hopefully everything will stay within control.

2 comments:

  1. I certainly feel for you. There is nothing like an unhappy baby! I was fortunate with the Princess. We only had a few times of crying without a cause and most were around two months of age, when I could not get enough sleep even when she was happy. But separation anxiety...I had far more of it than she ever did.

    I hope the storm is not bad for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may see some rain but though cyclone Debbie has now crossed the coast she is moving slowly & no~one can get out to access the damage.

      As for the little man, all my boys were screamers; my girls were not. Combination of factors I think: over tired; teething; separation anxiety; out of routine. After 5 very little disturbs me.

      Delete