Tuesday 14 March 2017

Musing along.

On Sunday Our Little Man was dedicated to the Lord.  We weren't there, having our own church service to run ~ & as I'm not much of a one for ceremonies of any description, not particularly put out by that fact.

My mother was ~ & not impressed, but she is Anglican [high in Queensland] & quite unused to the style of worship or 45 minute sermons. Forty~five minutes & I'm barely warmed up! As our church knows, if it's a subject I know a good deal more about than I should I can get up a real head of steam & there's no holding me. Last week, Purim, & I so could have gone of on Greek history tangents, because Greek history I did in school & it was fascinating to find it overlapping bible history & so could have side~tracked.  I was good! I managed to barely touch on it.

I suddenly find I am the *middle generation*.  I remember, because I am just old enough & just that bit older than my brothers, the generation that came out of the war: the Beatles, the Cold War, the 60's in all it's psychedelic splendour, the clash of the last vestiges of Victorian morality & the new morality, Vietnam...yes all of that, but also life with outside dunnys, chamber pots, showers under the water tanks & infested with both carpet snakes & big green frogs, copper tubs for washing in because indoor bathrooms & sewerage were relatively new & not everybody had them ~ a time that predates t.v & the internet, a world unrecognizable to today's children yet in reality not so very long ago; barely one generation. In the 60's canning naughty boys was still the norm. I was in highschool before I heard the word lesbian & even then I didn't know what it meant. It was a world where you still knew children crippled by polio & everyone got the measles & the chicken pox but just the same you were trusted to light the fire & boil the billy without burning down the entire suburb!

I look at the Little Man & think how much the world has changed & wonder what sort of challenges will come his way as the LGBT agenda makes greater & greater inroads into our schools, our society, life in general, creating a very different world view to the generations that preceded it.

And the Little Man's mum, musing on how she could ever say goodbye at the kindergarten gate & watch the pride of her heart depart, confessed she would dearly love to homeschool.

The things of the world will always change but the moral law of the most High God is immutable. One can't guarantee incorruptibility by homeschooling but it is perhaps the best hope we have for passing on those things that are most important.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet!

    I do understand your thoughts on this new millennial generation and where it is heading. I am already concerned for my future grandchildren, but the Princess is set not on having any, as I was at her age. Things always change.

    ReplyDelete