Saturday 11 March 2017

Up & Running.

 Ten or so years ago my mother gave me an elkhorn.  That's the big green thing attached to the Palm tree next to Kirby.  Naturally it wasn't that big at the time. My mother is also responsible for the palms.  I'm not overly fond of palms so shoved them in randomly somewhere out of the way where they would do some good & not get in the way of other things.

The elkhorn, naturally, grew.  And grew.  And grew. I took of some of the bubbies & attached them to other palms....& they grew. That was a little more surprising as I wasn't overly careful.

As we actually put in some work to build on the upper story that has now established I find this narrow, unwanted strip of garden is giving me great pleasure.  It has become very tropical, shading our western bedrooms with rich greenery & a lushness that our natives don't provide.

The sea too is presently giving up its bounty.  As I came between the islands Saturday morning the prawners were stretched out between the islands, nets spinning out & being dragged back in heavy with prawns,  While I don't like the seafood I do enjoy seeing the boats clustered thickly enough to *walk from here to the mainland*.
I was on the mainland so I could babysit the Little Man while his dad took his mum out for dinner.  We had no trouble & spent a good part of our time walking between the 2 little parks & watching the light slowly fade from the sky. Teddy, who pretends to be a dog, came with us though sadly I have no idea how his harness actually works & I think I half crippled him.  Luckily for me he was more than happy to walk & sniff excitedly at all the lampposts.

I'm not sure about that dummy.  I never used them & can see it becoming a problem rather soon.

2 comments:

  1. I am not fond of palms either...well, I guess I would say that I am highly selective when it comes to all topical plants, which is one of many reasons I like Georgia more than I did Florida. So it is a very big deal for me to say I LOVE your elkhorn!

    And your grandbaby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol My elkhorn impresses me. That it grew at all is something of a miracle, never mind how big it got!

    ReplyDelete