Saturday 4 August 2018

One Egg, Two Eggs...

 I spent a good part of today sitting quietly watching my chickens ~ which seems an insane sort of a thing to do.  However I find chickens restful.  Their soft chucking & delighted cackles when they produce an egg are eminently serene, the essence of a world that is intrinsically right.

However, my Australorps are already laying while the Rocks are POL, so Kate warned me to keep an eye on the Aussies, who are bigger & heavier, because they might hog the food ~ which they did! *sigh* And I needed to be sure the bullying didn't get out of hand because, after all, all these hens are still babies.  They are still learning ~ so much so they didn't realise the hutch was for roosting in last night & knocked the perch down; it is now firmly glued in place! But all my ladies were upstairs waiting to be shut in tonight.  Some were even actually roosting!

However sitting idly, sipping coffee, & watching my chooks scrabble in the mulch meant I was there when Nugget marched up the planking in solitary splendour to scrabble & thump & rattle & roll in the nesting boxes to produce our very first egg!


We ended up with 2,  Namaste also doing the deed, considerably later in the day.  They are a good sized egg, & a pretty, pale buff pink.  Nugget looks like being top chook, which no doubt will please ODD.

No comments:

Post a Comment