Saturday 18 August 2018

Herding Hens.

Having had chooks before I was reasonably confident that a treat, a calling sound & a couple of days practise was all that was needed to train my chooks to return to the pen. And they have certainly learnt to anticipate let out time! 

My lovely black girls, being older & wiser & a little more used to flock habitation, cottoned on after just one day.  The Rocks have been a little slower on the uptake. 

The oldest one has got it but the baby of the flock is invariably floundering round the outside of the coop, terrified I will scoop her up [which I invariably have to do], & seemingly quite unable to find the door, all the while clucking frantically.  She is also something of a loner though the other Rocks will *baby* her, cuddling up to her & allowing her to nuzzle into them while dust bathing.  She is my flighty one, @ the bottom of the pecking order & easily frightened, so yes, I keep a weather eye on her also when they are out & about.

As anyone daft enough to have done it knows, herding hens is not easy.  You get the stray one in & 3 more squeeze back out ~ so round & round you go.  After just once I locked the pen as soon as the majority were in & rounded up my strays one by one with the help of a long fishing rod. All this is necessary as I haven't wanted the girls out if I wasn't around so they have to wait till the MOTH gets home & I wanted them penned & fed before it gets really cold in the afternoons, as it still does. 

Today, seeing as it looked like being an eggless day & we were home, I let them out early while I worked around the yard.  These are hens  that enjoy human company so stay in my vicinity if I'm there.  They are good company, invariably interested in everything going on, & happy to scrutch about in the leaf litter or  make funny little chupping noises as they sun bath.  We had several pleasant hours & I was considering my treat options to lure them home with the least fuss when there was a sudden commotion.  My scaredy chook [named Ophelia because she will stand in the water dish], shot towards the coop frantically & every chook in the vicinity followed her.  All in & accounted for.  No fuss.  No bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment