Thursday 29 June 2017

Plates, glorious plates.

The crockery was so elegant that it was never used.~ anon

The real Blue Willoware is worth a small fortune these days. It was designed in 1780 by one Thomas Minton for 'Salopian China Manufactory' & based on a bogus Chinese legend of eloping lovers. Traditionally it is a blue & white pattern originally designed for the common household crockery but it can be found in black, green & brown as well. I have never liked the other colours & it seems a lot of people agree with me because it has never really gone out of fashion.

Anyway our lot arrived in 2 big boxes because our Woolies, who used to sell individual plates & bowls for a dollar or so each, stopped doing that so I could no longer replace all our missing bits & pieces.


CG is responsible for a good deal of my problem. Originally, because the fake stuff is so dirt cheap, I had bought a set of 6 plates & bowls from Woolies for about a dollar each. At the time geometric patterns were all the rage & I abhor geometric patterns.  They give me a headache.  Ugly.  Ugly.  Ugly. The blue soothed my soul ~ & as I have said my aunt owned this set so lots of good memories.
 I believe it is no longer a *thing* & families no longer do this so much but in our household all our kids had chores ~ & they had chores because I loath housework & am very bad @ it. Nothing too onerous: make their own bed; learn to cook; wash up the dinner things in turn.  We still don't have a dishwasher.

My kids were regular kids.  None of them liked doing the washing up but they understood everyone did it eventually & normally it wasn't much of an issue.

I can't remember what set her off but, this particular night CG took a real snoot about doing the washing up. As she collected the plates she banged them on top of each other until I thought she'd smash them to bits then stuck her nose in the aim & proceeded to storm towards the kitchen in a mighty huff.  I suggested she might like to NOT stack so many @ once but...

They say pride goes before a fall ~ & fall she did. Every dish we owned crashed out of her hands & landed loudly on the floor. I don't know who was more shattered: CG or our crockery!

Woolies was still selling the willoware but the design was slightly different, so we lived with mismatched dinnerware. Meanwhile it kept disappearing.   I was down to just 3 dinner plates & four bowls...who knows?  The girls used the bowls to take lunches to work & ODD admitted to breaking @ least one but as to the other...or the 3 missing dinner plates...no~one is owning to anything.  I suspect my boys.  In which case those plates are probably @ the bottom of Moreton Bay by now.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to have things that you actually like...and not all the clutter, isn't it? My husband just left for Florida with some furniture to put in the estate sale, but he forgot a couple of items. :(

    The things that were stored in some of that furniture is all over the place so I have more clutter than ever, but we are making some progress on getting rid of the things we do not like that much, has gone bad or we cannot use, and having the things we really do like and are usable.

    ReplyDelete