Friday 30 September 2016

An ongoing saga.

She gardened all the morning & read all afternoon ~ Shirley Cane

Like many churches we run our music through a computer.  Thursday the computer crashed ~ &  Yeah, it was old. Important things like the enter key hadn't worked in months.  I'd made *we need a new computer* noises for some time but computers cost money & we don't spend the Lord's money if we don't need too so I had worked with it.

Crashes ~ well they're a whole 'nother thing.  I don't do crashes.  My computer skills are pretty limited so I was spinning because everything is on the computer!

Anyway we decided to head overseas for a new one & having arranged a car & missed 2 boats we finally left the island.

Amongst other things I have 2 white wisteria sitting in pots beside one of the bird baths.  The wisteria are one of those dramas in my life.  I like wisteria.  I would happily swathe the house in garlands of pink & purple & white but the MOTH is a horticulturists & my love of wisteria horrifies him.  I have heard, ad nauseam, how destructive it is, how invasive it is & how it's not a native. *sigh*  I know.  I know.  I still love wisteria. Anyway, I have had a purple one in a pot beside the other birdbaths for years & years though it has never flowered & the MOTH agreed that if they could be confined to pots I could have my wisteria.  He has bought the tubs: big wooden whisky tubs.  They are to sit on poles & weep.  He has begun the process of bending the longest twigs.  They immediately dropped all their leaves & the MOTH was cross thinking I had managed to kill them but they are deciduous & now, in spring, the flush of new growth is richly green.  It is time to get a move on.  So we stopped in at Bunnings & I picked up some butter beans & an azalea because after 20 odd years waiting on our canopy becoming a canopy we can finally think about our understory.

In all the hoopla we also had to help finance CG with a new computer ~ which we knew was on the cards because her old one has been at death's door for more than 12 months & without Skype we go months without speaking & that doesn't make either of us happy.  Besides she needs it for the work she does.

It was a long & fraught day. I mean, I don't like the mainland at any time. I particularly dislike shopping.  We were all tired by the time we got home again but as we bundled out of the car & began unloading, CG said: What is that bird doing?

I looked where she was looking.  I swear, even the wildlife round here is mad as hatters!  There was the chick I had rescued standing in the shallow bowl of water I had put out for the curlews.  What's with that bird & water?

2 comments:

  1. Wandering through... I love purple wisteria commonly growing wild here, however when it blooms, which is the height of our pollen season, I have a bit of an allergy to it, I think. Seriously, with pollen counts that sometimes go up to 6000, even people without allergies will have some reaction here in Georgia.

    I will have to tell you about this place in Florida were I used to get raw goat milk. They had three huge gardenia TREES. One was so big that shaded their house and yard with a trunk I could not get my arms around. I had never seen such a thing before or since. Goat berries make amazing fertilizer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I LOVE love love gardenias. A sight worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete