Wednesday 4 April 2018

Of Old Ink Pots.

 Beautiful things have often come into my life by default.  Such is the case with my ink bottles.

They are neither very old nor particularly rare & I only own a handful ~ exactly 5.  However...

When we first moved to the island we were the only house on our side of the point & I am an inveterate beachcomber, so naturally the first thing I did was clamber down our hill & scramble through the mangroves to poke & pry amongst the piles of sea grass & driftwood to see what had been caste upon the shore.

The clear glass ink bottles were discovered @ different times.  Wedged into the mud they have actually survived the ravages of time quite well & cleaned up nicely but in all honesty probably only date back to the 50's or early 60's because the ballpoint was invented in the 30's & by 1966, when I entered the 3rd grade, we phased from pen & ink to ballpoints by the end of 2nd term. Pity.  I loved working with the old pens.  They weren't pretty.  The nibs rusted & bent & the holders were ugly red plastic but when you wrote with them the ink did lovely things going thick & thin, dark to faint.  I know.  Small things...

For ages 3 clear ink bottles is what I had. Then when Jossie entered school I bought an old school desk ~ you know the ones: they had a sloping lid, hinged at the top so you could lift the lid & shove your belongings inside, a long groove cut above the hinges for pens or pencils & a hole in the exact middle of the groove.  I'm sure later generations wonder about that hole.  I didn't.  I wondered what had happened to the tin or enamel ink pot that had once rested there.

So I asked, as you do, the friends you know who are always @ the garage sales or the thrift shops, or the 2nd hand places if they would keep an eye out for an ink well ~ one that had once belonged in an old school desk.  And my friends, being my friends, arrived with ink bottles, teal & old & bottle green & though quite charming, useless as regarded the desk. I think they are pretty & not quite useless.  They hold feathers rather nicely.

1 comment: