Monday 2 April 2018

Doing the Ginger Cake Again.


Kitchen window sills are for beautiful things.
At the moment the MOTH has brought his flowering orchids inside so that we can enjoy the blooms.  The sprays are a little long for comfort but the flowers are gorgeous.  Besides the mauve & white there is an unknown 3rd just starting to bud.

It has been some years since I had a fully working kitchen but our renovations mean I have a new oven & that means baking!  What else would I use it for?  Even more years since I had *helpers* & these days there is no~one to eat the goodies bar us ~ which means they should last, yes?

Perish the thought!  My MIL passed along, @ one time, the most scrumptious ginger bread cake ever.  Just ask my children.  I know there are some families who are *chocolate only* people.  We aren't that fussy.  We're more the licorice allsorts types. Carrot cake, coconut cake, orange cake, cheese cake ~ & definitely ginger cake!




I had to buy a new pan ~ drama, drama, drama ~ because these days everything is metric & very rarely do you get the old imperial as well.  I have never converted.  I am a feet & inches, pounds & ounces girl so there I stood in the IGA cooking section surveying their array of pans hoping that my rather unreliable memory for sizes was good enough because an 8" pan is what I needed & when I nabbed a ruler from the school section to help me out it was all in cm's & mm's too.  Useless!  Sad to say my girls cook in pounds & ounces too but I must say, after years of my battered & dinged & rusty old things new ones are very nice indeed.

Hot out of the oven with real butter melting into each slice ~ nothing yummier!

The recipe can be found here ~ which is my older, older blog [for which I have lost the password] so you need to know this recipe requires a cup of milk as well as all the other things. I do like me some ginger cake!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a feet/inches, pound/ounces person too. I would love to taste your gingerbread cake. Yum. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently fasting so EVERYTHING looks good, but I am trying to stay away from the carbs as much as possible when I am back to eating...Tempter! Seriously, it looks yummy and I am glad you have a fully functional oven again.

    ReplyDelete