Tuesday 13 March 2018

The Cyclone That Wasn't.

After nearly 3 weeks the doctor has declared that the MOTH's mother no longer needs 24/7 care
~ though she will never be completely independent again.  There are things that should be done now that family dynamics will make impossible ~ like selling 2 cars  & a boat.  My MIL will never drive again, though it is going to take quite some time for her to accept that fact.  However we have the domestic help in place, rails for toilet & bathroom coming, persuaded her the personal alarm is for her own good & we are filling the gaps: washing, meals, medication, shopping, ~ that sort of thing. 

Finally I have been able to turn my attention to my own household, which quickly gets out of control.  Surfaces accumulate things ~ which Kirby then feels free to push onto the floor & we step around because everyone is far to busy, or just not home, to deal with the mess. *sigh*  So the MOTH is back home sleeping in his own bed again & while I pop in & out next door to check all is well I no longer need to be there for the hours the MOTH is in college.  I do worry. My MIL's quality of life distresses me: too much poor quality tv, too few visitors, not enough of anything interesting or stimulating but getting her out & about, even for short trips ,is becoming more & more difficult & far more traumatic than enjoyable for her.  I don't think we can bring her home again the next time she lands in hospital ~ & that will only be a matter of time.

Meanwhile the tropical low that has formed in the Coral Sea is refusing to decide whether it will be a cyclone or not.  The rain & wind have arrived but the low itself is neither fish, nor fowl nor good red herring! Depending on the day & time it is a cyclone ~ or it isn't.  It isn't expected to cross the coast either, which is a jolly good thing given just being out there is causing enough rain & wind & tidal surge to bring no~one any joy.  These things are, always & forever, completely unpredictable & the Met people are not known for getting these things right, so, like everyone else, we will have to wait & see & hope Linda continues to slide down the coast until she peters out somewhere south of us.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I like a storm with that name....

    I did not know your MIL law lived next door to you in all this time!

    ReplyDelete