Thursday 20 April 2017

Our Little Man.

 Our Little Man is growing up.  He has been rolling all around the floor for some time; now we are about to crawl & life will change forever.

I was asked over to help out for a few days ~ though in reality they have so many extra hands in the house I don't really think they need mine.  Mind you everyone else works ~ even ODD though she keeps extremely odd hours. The bonus is I do tend to be an early riser.  I can do early & I can do late; it's the inbetween daylight hours I have trouble staying awake, so I got the Little Man as the menfolk left for work.

I had never considered what sort of a grandmother I would be but I don't seem to be the doting sort. I do seem to be the *Let's get out of here* sort but that may be just because I find suburbia so dreadfully confining & it's awful to still wake early without the compensation of a splendid sunrise.
 So it was into the stroller for an early morning walk ~ not brisk.  I do not walk for exercise. I walk so I can gawk at other people's gardens [like the strange concoction of sand & grasses dotted with cut off poles & trailing mooring rope miles from the water ~ kudos for at least being original], & get my bearings in strange environments.

Like so much of our area this was once farmland ~ market gardens mostly but not now.  What farms there are  have horses.  Now it is broken into small allotments with boring modern houses. Lots of brick, a paltry excuse for vegetation & a great swath of green lawn to gobble up your water allowance in the dry.  House after house with not an original idea between them & yappy dogs throwing themselves at the fences as we passed. Ick.

But in amongst the red tiles & solar panels we found acres of green corridors that the MOTH had put in when he was in charge of Parks & Gardens & small playgrounds with a swing or two, verdant spaces of wild that the Little Man & I can explore together when he gets bigger because I don't think I'm a neat & clean & everything in it's place grandmother either. Let's face it, I wasn't that sort of a mother.  

My mother tells this story of my first holiday away from home.  When we returned I marched around the house declaring: My bed! My chair! My table! I still dislike the sense of dislocation that comes from being in a strange environment. Where do they keep the bread? The sugar?  The COFFEE!!! How does the gas work? Whose bathroom can I use? Is it rude to nap because I don't sleep well at night with all the cars & trucks hooting down the highway, the trains, & the street lights seeping through the shutters?  I miss my dopey cats & the cry of curlews under the moon, the plop of fish & the strong tang of salt in the air. 

 And I have this terrible aversion to conservative suburbia, so neat & tidy & conforming.  It always makes me think of My Brother Jack [George Johnstone] ~most of which I don't remember having read it only once a terribly long time ago, but there is one unforgettable segment.  Davey Meredith, drowning in urban ennui, plants a blue gum out the front of his place knowing perfectly well it is big, fast growing & destructive.  It is his way of thumbing his nose at his neighbours as that tree pushes up the cement footpath, invades the drains, drops limbs on roofs & leaves in pools until ultimately council forcibly cuts it down. I understand what drove him to plant that tree.

To say nothing of the fact I leave my computer behind & plowed through a rather strange book: Lake of Sorrows, which ODD picked up for sixpence at the thrift shop one year expressly for me & which I had never read. Now I have.  I wonder why?

2 comments:

  1. Your grandson is absolutely cheek-pinching adorable, if I were the type to cheek pinch...actually I have no idea why people ever came about doing that.

    Looks like you all will be running after him because he's going mobile soon. My daughter did not crawl on her knees; she went from full body scooting on the floor to walking. (I had forgotten that until just now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one who *crawled* on tippey~toes & finger tips. It was weird. Little Man is much more conservative. He does look very like the MOTH though. Darker ginger & different coloured eyes but the big head, mouth, chin & wide across the forehead all MOTH!

    ReplyDelete