Sunday 30 July 2017

Guess What...

For most of the years I homeschooled my life was dictated by the demands of ODD's vocal academy. Which meant our schooling often suffered.  A lot.  Especially performance weeks. And what really suffered was her math.

We hated math.  It was the bane of our lives.  It could reduce both of us to tears. We weren't particularly good at it & we did as little of it as we could get away with. Even our supervisor, a certified math teacher & a truly lovely person, met her Waterloo at ODD's hands & math.

At the time I said, over & over...& over... because I needed to hear it as much as anybody, ODD is a smart, smart bunny.  If she needs this stuff, she'll work it out.

Guess what? ODD is a smart, smart bunny. Having reached the end of the financial year & discovered she was broke, she decided she would do her own tax return rather than going to the accountant as she has done previously.

She put in for exemptions on everything!  Clothing. Make~up. Office equipment. Travel. And she got it all back! It's the best tax return she's ever got.  And people thought she couldn't do math!

The thing with homeschooling, & we are seeing its fruits still, years down the track, is how it teaches kids to think: I can do it ~ I just need to learn how; I can do it ~ I just need to figure out how it works for me; I can do it ~ if I need to learn how. so proud of my girl.

1 comment:

  1. Public school started here this week, but we will not be starting for at least another week or two or three. Maybe I will just make it the first week of September.

    Anyway, I will probably be blogging on this myself: What I have noticed this past year...which was a very light year on the academics because of the all the family stuff, but children learn and keep learning.

    ReplyDelete